Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Signs of a messy kitchen....

Looking around me this morning, I see piles of bills, junk mail, my ever present Sonic cup, my Bible and devotionals and a journal. I can glance to my right to view my kitchen which is far from perfect, but serves its purpose. I see a bag of half eaten cheese puffs that my kids raided on the way to the bus this morning (hey that's just how we roll and we are out of pop tarts). Nearby, the large can of powdered Gatorade is sitting idly on the counter where my oldest left it as he rushed out the door to once again be tardy for his first class with his best friend and driver. One little boy shoe is for some reason jammed under the edge of the lower cabinet and it leaves me wondering, WHY? In case you are wondering, he did indeed have two shoes on when I dropped him off at day care this morning. Right now, the ever growing child has two pair of shoes that actually fit.

I am sure some of you are like, "Dude clean up the kitchen!" or "You need to teach your kids to be more responsible." And while there is truth to both of those statements I see it differently. As I completely assess the environment before me I can only smile as it warms my heart to see the signs of vitality in this house.

There was a day (early parenting days and even some not so early parenting days) when I would have spent my morning chastising my dear children for leaving bags of cheese puffs unopened; none the less, actually allow them to eat them. Or yell at my oldest as he ran out the door about the necessity to be on time for school for a change. And the three year old and his shoes, he is not too young to learn to put things where they go! My way of being was very ordered and required attention to detail at all times and was frequently stressful for my kids and I both.

Yet now my morning included a few moments of meaningful chat with my 11 year old, Lyric, who is by far the messiest child in the house. Being her pre-pubescent female self, I usually get grunts and moans when conversation is attempted in the morning. Did I mention she got on the bus and then made the bus driver stop and wait for her as she ran back into the house to get her binder. I remember the football like play in passing the said binder to her (and no I don't do football). I can still hear her laugh as she caught the binder in her arms (yet another miracle) and ran back out the door.

I was able to have some special cuddle time with my little man, AJ, as his eyes opened this morning and smiles at me and raises his arms to me. This moment instantly fills my love tank to overflowing as he crawls into my lap and takes a few moments to rest in my embrace, the moment is short as his tornado like personality is quickly engaged and then pressed into overdrive.

Let me not forget my spirit led 7 year old, Lexi, who needed me to stop a moment and listen to her latest song she wrote for Jesus. While tune and harmony may not be high on her priorities when singing, it is the most beautiful sound in that it emanates from the center of her heart on it's way to the throne room of God. At one point her eyes closed as she lifted her voice and I was transfixed by the pure innocence she embodied at that moment. Her perfect sense of belief and faith in God!

Funny thing is I never had a visual on 16 year old, Courtney, this morning. But rather only heard evidence of his heart beat as the pipes squealed when he showered and later cranked the music from behind his bedroom door. Being the most elusive of the Ballard Bunch he often moves stealth like thru the house at all hours of the day and night. Then there was the Gatorade evidence left on the counter that is always the last thing he does as he walks out the door each morning. That child and I have a way of communicating that is truly unique and while we didn't speak directly to each other this morning I sent him a text saying, "I love you and have a great day!" Then in response, "Love you too dad!" My heart is full!

Upon returning home from the daycare I could have jumped into clean it up and make it neat mode, but I had the privilege of spending about fifteen minutes of my morning talking on the phone with my mom. What a wonderful mom she is to me and Gram to my kids. I will be sharing more about her in future posts, but suffice it to say she is a strong confident woman of faith and I am blessed to call her mom. I love you mom!

Off and on throughout the morning I have been able to encourage a dear friend who needed someone to hear him and pray for him. What a blessing it is to give to those I care about. I KNOW this friend is destined to have a life full of adventure as he steps deeper and wider into whom he was created to be.

I KNOW this! Rather than see the remnants of a typical active busy morning, I see indication of love and blessings. I see the signs of a life well lived that focuses on what is important. I don't share this in an effort to toot my own horn, but to encourage you to not sweat the small stuff. Care less about the things that don't matter in the light of eternity and spend your time and energy on relationship, sharing love, being there for those you love and maybe even asking for those in your life to give to you when needed. Sure a clean, neat, organized home is something I still dream about, but honestly who cares! Would I trade that spotless house for what I had this morning? Nope, no way....NOT HAPPENING! This, I KNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment