Saturday, June 15, 2019

Saturday Sun....

Waking up early on this day, a cloudy dreary Saturday morning I was instantly scrambling for things to do with my kids today in the event the rain lasted all day. As many of my FB followers have taken note of our weekend days are usually spent at one of our local pools during the summer months. The weather cleared up a bit and I finally called the pool about 11:45 am and they confirmed they were open for business come 12 noon.

The kids went into high gear and were swim ready in about 8 minutes. This is one of the few things that gets my kids motivated, going to the pool. Any pool at any time on any day of the year. They are clearly water babies and I love seeing them in the water. The pool had been open about 15 minutes by the time we got there and we were the first ones there. There were 7 life guards at their posts around the pool just for my kids and I. Talking about feeling safe. The sun was starting to shine and the clouds were moving out of the area as the kids jumped into the cold water. Within a matter of moments they were sliding, swimming, and diving through the clear water.



I take no greater joy than enjoying my children in their element and clearly the element of water is one that resonates deeply with my kids. The energy of the water and the warmth of the sun and winds of the air make for a perfect day in the pool. It is amazing to me how they can talk to any body and just strike up a conversation with whoever they encounter. I always here I made a new friend today dad. Then I ask that question I always ask...."What is their name!" They always look at me like I have 3 heads like who cares we played and had fun and we became friends and then they answer me and say, "I don't remember!" Which is their way of saying it never came up. Their concept of friendship is a beautiful thing. The name doesn't matter but the shared experience is what makes a friend. Maybe if we adults were more concerned about the shared experience rather than the other person's name age and occupation we would have more friends! Something for my mind to ponder on further.

They clearly enjoy the concession stand almost as much as the water itself. One had two pretzels, ice cream sandwich, a small drink and a pack of apples and caramel and a bag of skittles. Another had nachos (no cheese), ice cream cone and apples and caramel and small drink (which I drank) and a bag of M&Ms. The other child said she wasn't hungry and only had a drink and a bosco stick! Every week we go through the litany of menu options available like they do not know it by heart by now, Lord knows I do! Needless to say some 22 dollars later and they were still hungry. Geesh they are bottomless pits especially when at the pool.

Looking at my kids in their natural environment around the water and their true love of life comes forth. Truly the joy they emanate is like the effervescent bubbles from your favorite carbonated drink. Almost intoxicating. That emotion they bring only makes them more beautiful and handsome than they already are! Who says being happy doesn't make you look better!


After 4 and a half hours at the pool we are walking out feeling alive and sun-kissed they want to know if we are coming back tomorrow! I tell them it is still the weekend isn't it! Then I get the, "I love you dad" and "You are the best" comments that make my heart sing. I will take those moments they love me and aren't afraid to show it because I am sure within an hour someone will hate me for something else.

Life finally felt normal today, 26 days since The Burning, and it almost felt normal. It was a good day!

1 comment:

  1. You're such a great dad Brock. Happy father's day! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete