Wednesday, June 5, 2019

16 days later....The Burning

It has been two weeks and two days since The Burning! In many ways it already feels like it was a lifetime ago, In reality never does a day go by when I am not reminded multiple times that it was just 16 days ago. I am experiencing a level of "tired" like I have never known before. My body hurts and aches and I am tired all the time!

During this time we have assessed the damage on several different layers, found new temporary housing, reestablished morning routes and routines for everyone, set up a new parenting schedule, been to the fire house every day for one reason or another and stayed on top of vendors and contract workers who are working in the house. I have also had an 8th grade graduation, a 5th grade promotion, baseballs practices and medical appointments. I have sent my dog away to live with my parents until the house is habitable again. Moving into a small apartment tomorrow and I have never lived in a traditional apartment such as this!

Through it all I am constantly reminded how much worst it could have all been or still be if things had just been the least bit different. No one was hurt or killed, the house was not a total loss, a chance to start anew, getting some bonding time with my kids. Many of you have provided blessings in many different ways and I cannot even to thank you enough for what you did for my family during a difficult time. I have learned some things about myself and about others that I am close to.

I went to the fire house this morning and watched as they carted out all the furnishings that THEY deemed were salvageable. All those pieces of furniture that had all sorts of stuff in them were emptied and the piece then removed from the house. Needless to say the house looks worst now then it did before. Stuff piled everywhere and it is just depressing like a bad episode of Hoarders! Not pretty!

The next step will be for the remaining "Stuff" to be emptied out of the house and tossed and disposed of as they were too damaged from water and smoke. That cannot be done until the inventory people finish the job of itemizing every item we own and then we get to go through each line item and report the age, the costs to purchase and where it was purchased. I am so dreading that part. I honestly don't know where I bought the pair of red and blue socks. I know they have been in the drawer several years and how much I paid for them. How the heck do I know! Sigh...

It is clear that this entry is somewhat of a bummer but it is real! Someone asked me yesterday how I was doing and I responded by saying, "I don't know how I am right now!"

Honestly I really just want to go home! Yet I have made up my mind that 6 months will be worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment